HOBOKEN MAYOR DAWN ZIMMER LAUNCHES HUDSON BIKE SHARE
AND TAKES INAUGURAL RIDE
Sponsored by CarePoint, Suez North America, Bijou Properties, Zipcar,
Investors Bank & Keller Williams City Life Realty,
Special Discounted Annual $75 Membership Available Through Sunday 10/11
HOBOKEN, NJ – The City of Hoboken, in partnership with Bike and Roll, nextbike, E3Think, and P3 Global Management, has officially activated Hoboken's new bike share system. The system, known as Hudson Bike Share, launched at 1 p.m. today. Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer joined the operators and founding sponsors of Hudson Bike Share, which include Carepoint Health, Bijou Properties, Suez North America, Zipcar, Investors Bank, and Keller Williams City Life Realty, to cut the ribbon and unveil the tri-state area's first next-generation bike share system. The special early bird $75 annual membership rate (regularly $95/year) will continue through Sunday, October 11th.
As of today’s launch, 17 stations and 120 bikes are active, expanding to 29 stations and 250 bikes in the coming weeks. Those with annual memberships can begin using the system immediately, and their membership will be extended to last until one year after all stations are installed. Stations will be located within a three to five-minute walk of every Hoboken resident. The bicycles feature next-generation "smart bike" technology with built-in GPS. This innovative technology provides a superior bike share system at a fraction of the cost of traditional dock-based systems used in many other cities.
"With today's launch of Hudson Bike Share, our residents and visitors will have a new convenient transportation option that makes it easy to travel from anywhere to anywhere in our Mile-Square City," said Hoboken Mayor Dawn Zimmer. "From the start, we have been focused on creating an affordable bike share system that puts bike share stations in every neighborhood. I am grateful to our founding sponsors whose generosity has made bike share in Hoboken possible and thank them for their incredible support."
"The key word to summarize Hudson Bike Share is ‘regional,' and today the City of Hoboken truly has a regional bike sharing program that features the latest and greatest in bike share technology thanks to Mayor Zimmer's steadfast support of cycling and her leadership," said Chris Wogas, CEO of Bike and Roll and the operator of Hudson Bike Share. "Whether you're using our system for recreational purposes, commuting or simply visiting a friend, we strongly encourage locals and visitors to come along for the ride and hop on a bike."
Here is how Hudson Bike Share works:
- Customers can register for the program online at hudsonbikeshare.com, using the nextbike smartphone application, or at solar-powered kiosks at select stations.
- Annual memberships cost $95 ($75 during early bird sale) and allow for 45 minute unlimited rides. Weekly passes cost $25 and offer unlimited 30 minute trips. Single trip passes are $2 for a 30 minute trip. Additional charges apply for longer rides.
- Members will be able to rent a bicycle via the nextbike mobile application (iOS, Android, Windows), with a smart card, using the bike's on-board computer, at kiosks, or phone call via an interactive voice response system.
- Users may ride anywhere within or outside of Hoboken during their rental.
- A unique benefit of the next-generation technology is that riders can make mid-trip stops outside of official stations by temporarily locking up their bikes to run an errand such as visiting a supermarket or stopping for coffee. Time continues to count against the 30 or 45 minute limit until the bike is returned to an official station.
- Hudson Bike Share will feature the first-of-its-kind program permitting riders to connect to regional transportation options and make longer visits to neighboring areas. Riders can leave bicycles at designated no fee zones located at regional transportation hubs in Jersey City and Weehawken for no additional charge. Bikes left at locations other than official Hoboken stations or official Weehawken/Jersey City no fee zones will be subject to an additional fee of $10 in Hoboken and $25 outside Hoboken.
- The next generation technology also helps avoid a common challenge in traditional bike share systems. If an official station is full, Hudson Bike Share members will have the option to lock up at any nearby standard available bike rack or to lock the bike to itself and leave it next to the station without a fee.
"As a member of the Hoboken community, we are proud to be a founding sponsor of Hudson Bike Share," said CarePoint Health System CEO Dennis Kelly. "With a large number of our employees living and working here, we are excited to help improve the quality of life in one of the places we call home."
“We're thrilled to be part of the launch of Hudson Bike Share in Hoboken and congratulate Mayor Zimmer and the City Council for their tireless efforts to bring this popular program to the City," says Larry Bijou, managing partner of Bijou Properties. “As a local developer, we share their desire to create a more eco-conscience environment in Hoboken and have spent fifteen years firmly dedicated to introducing environmentally-responsible and pedestrian-friendly developments that promote healthier, cleaner living within the City. Hudson Bike Share fits perfectly into the green culture of Bijou Properties and the ongoing neighborhood enhancement in Hoboken by reducing traffic and congestion and encouraging a more active lifestyle. We're delighted to support this program and help this City grow into one of Hudson County's most cycle-friendly destinations."
"Hoboken has built an excellent reputation as a leader in 'green' initiatives," said Nadine Leslie, President of SUEZ Environmental Services. "SUEZ North America is proud to support the City as a founding sponsor in the Hudson BikeShare program."
"With both Zipcar and Hudson Bike Share now available in Hoboken, more residents will be able to live a car-free or a car-lite lifestyle," said Anthony Fatone, regional general manager, Zipcar NYC. "Zipcar is thrilled to be a sponsor of Hudson Bike Share as our two services are truly complementary to one another. We routinely hear from our members that they like to bike around town or to and from a commuter train station and use Zipcar for those occasions when they just need a car."
"Bike Shares are an affordable and easy way to get around places like Hoboken," said Investors Bank President and CEO Kevin Cummings. "We are proud to support the City of Hoboken in this endeavor,and hope it will help residents and visitors get where they need to go."
"Keller Williams City Life Realty is honored and excited to be selected as the exclusive local real estate company for the Hudson Bike Share program," said Renée Condon, Broker/Owner at Keller Williams City Life. "We communicate everyday with residents of Hoboken and we strongly believe this innovative concept will make a difference in our daily lives. As realtors, we are often asked, "How do I get there?" This environmentally friendly option offers a very convenient, independent means of transportation throughout the town. KW City Life Realty will proudly promote this dynamic program to all our clients, co-workers, family and friends."
With strong sponsor support, Hudson Bike Share will also provide free and discounted memberships to residents of the Hoboken Housing Authority and those in Section 8 housing, and through a partnership with the Hoboken Shelter, will provide job training and employment to help the homeless community become self-sufficient and gain employment.
The program's operator, Bike and Roll, is the largest bike rental company in the United States. The system's technology is manufactured by nextbike, which has the largest international bike sharing network with over 25,000 bicycles in more than 80 cities in 15 countries.
Program sponsors will be recognized on bicycle panels and at select stations. Additional station sponsorships and corporate and group discounts are available. For more information, contact email@example.com. For more information on Hudson Bike Share and to sign up, visit www.hudsonbikeshare.com and follow us on Twitter (www.twitter.com/hudsonbikeshare) and Facebook (www.facebook.com/hudsonbikeshare).