Dear friends and neighbors:
This is a follow up to the email I sent yesterday E-Scooters: to be or not to be. First, a reminder again to take responsibility for your actions and the potential impact you are having to your neighbors and on the PILOT. I spoke with Hoboken Police Chief Ferrante just now and he said that things seem to be calming some, but there are still plenty of instances of unsafe behavior being reported. Here are a few updates:
- As of this writing, I have confirmed with Chief Ferrante that there have been no reported injuries. That doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of near hits (near misses as a term makes no sense...) because there still are.
- Reports of unsafe riding have come down since day one.
- Observations of underage riders has only increased.
- People are still parking in places that are disruptive to pedestrians (although I saw more evidence of improvement).
- And there is almost no observation of anyone wearing helmets notwithstanding it is required by Lime.
Regarding the underage use which is one of the biggest concerns cited by many of you ... if you have or know a child/teen who has ridden a scooter, please let me know how they gained access and I will pass along to Lime. When I spoke with Lime two days ago, Ms. Shapiro indicated that the only way a child/teen could access is if they have a credit card and ID or their parents set it up for them. I challenged that as I said I don't know many parents that would allow this.