Dear friends and neighbors,
I know everyone’s world is upside down right now and probably made more complicated by the mayor’s order yesterday to close all parks and dog parks. This said, we still need to move forward and do all those necessary things in life like brush our teeth, wash our hands, and take the garbage out. Thankfully responding to the 2020 Census is only a once every ten year event, but still just as necessary. The good news is for a household of one, it takes 2 minutes to respond, and for a household of 5, it takes five minutes. Below are more “C” words and some links I hope you find helpful and informative to make your Census2020 response project as enjoyable and painless as possible! And once finished, at the end is a tracker to follow responses which is a great replacement if you are tired of checking the tracker for that other “C” word! Please share this with everyone you know and lets try to get the response rate up as high as possible! So back to those “C” words…
How you help Hoboken - impacts funding for our schools, firefighters and other critical LOCAL services
Spread the word – check out the response rates so far on the interactive map!– Hoboken is just over the national response rate, and overall as a country we are less than halfway to the 68% achieved in 2010.
RESPONDING TO THE CENSUS
Without a code (that was sent to you), make sure you use your exact address.
Questions – all as of April 1, 2020:
- How many people in your household? If more than one, it asks you to add the other members.
- Will your house be owned, rented or occupied without rent?
- Sex – this question seemed very not 2020… they didn’t use the word “gender”, and they only gave two choices…
- Date of birth
- Are you of Hispanic, Latino or Spanish origin? Yes or No
- What race? – Another interesting question… apparently Latino or Spanish not considered a race and no choices were given. So I assume that if you checked ‘Yes’ to the previous question, you may not get this question as a choice at all.
- Do you usually live or stay so email@example.com else? Example nursing home, military, college or jail.
And that is it! Easy Peasy….
I really hope you take the few minutes to contribute to one of the most important activities you will ever participate in. An example as to how it relates to Hoboken – we have seen a massive demographic shift and population growth since the last census. Your participation means more federal and state funding for everything important in Hoboken. We have more young families staying longer, we have a greater need for children services and affordable housing. And most of the population growth has been in the north and west ends of towns so Hoboken will redistrict next year and given this growth I am confident the boundaries of all wards will change in 2021.
Thank you to everyone in special community. I remain in awe everyday and consider myself so lucky to live in Hoboken and have the honor of representing you. As always, please forward to anyone you think may be interested in receiving this. Feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 201-208-1674 to discuss what you have read or anything else that is important to you.